DIY Fence Table

4.9K Flares Filament.io 4.9K Flares ×

Every time I need to photograph something, I take it out to our little plastic (very weathered & dirty) outdoor bench, put a placemat down and try to get just the right shot.  I was tired of trying to do that all while trying to keep the dirty plastic bench out of the picture.  So, I told my husband I had a project for him and explained what I thought I wanted (a large tray).  That lead to a conversation about what would work and how we could create something better than a tray.  The idea for a fence table was born!

I am a hands-on person and I really need to see things (in 3-D) to understand how they will work, so going into this project, I wasn’t REALLY sure it would be what we’d talked about or what I wanted.

DIY Fence Table | SensiblySara.com

The hubs knew what he needed, so we headed to Home Depot and gathered supplies.  (Our fence table cost just shy of $30.)

Supplies You’ll Need:

• Box of 1 1/4″ Deckmate Screws (lifetime, all purpose)
  • 2 – 4″ heavy duty tee hinges
  • 1 – 8 foot 2×2 board
  • 4 – 6 foot 5×8 pine dog ear picket boards

**Note:  We used treated wood.

Tools You’ll Need:

• Sander
  • Level
  • Drill
  • Tape Measure
  • Circular Saw or Hand Saw
  • Speed Square
  • Pencil

As soon as we got home, hubs got to work!  The entire project took just over an hour.

DIY Fence Table | SensiblySara.com

Cut your boards to 48 inches.  Cut the remaining part of the board to fit under your 48″ pieces.  Line them up and screw everything together.

DIY Fence Table | SensiblySara.com

Once you have one solid piece, you’ll screw it to the fence using the tee hinges.  You are almost done at this point!

DIY Fence Table | SensiblySara.com

Add a scrap of wood to the underside of your table to hold the detachable legs in place at the top.  You’ll have to custom fit the legs to fit your table.  Once that’s done, sand it down and you have a fence table!!

DIY Fence Table | SensiblySara.com

What would you use your fence table for?!

In addition to using it for photography, we plan on using it to hold the makings for our s’mores parties!

4.9K Flares Twitter 9 Facebook 475 Pin It Share 2.5K Google+ 5 StumbleUpon 1.9K Filament.io 4.9K Flares ×
Signature
About Sara Phillips

Sara Phillips writes about her kids & husband, recipes, life, and activities. She also enjoys writing reviews and hosting giveaways. Sara and her family live in San Antonio, TX.

Speak Your Mind

Comments

1. Love this fence!

2. Omg! I love this. I’m so making ean do this very soon.
    I bet he will like it too. Thanks sara

3. Alvina Castro says:

so cute! Wish we had a wooden fence

4. I love this! I need to make this for our gatherings, we have tons when the weather is nice. This would be perfect for food etc. Thanks for the idea!

5. Loooove this!Going to pin this for inspiration for Hubs!

6. aw thats cute idea!

7. Cindy Dawkins says:

Larry did an awesome job – I’m jealous!

8. I’d love to do this, but my fence isn’t nearly as pretty as yours and it’s mostly in the shade.

9. I love this. What a great space saver!

10. This totally turned out awesome!! I need one of these!

11. I love this, I am totally getting hubby to make this for me.

12. Love that! Very nice! I wish we had a fence, I want one too!

13. You and your hubs came up with a great idea! I was recently at a friends who had a smaller version to set drink on while they were playing horseshoes in the back yard! Awesome idea!

14. Margaret Maggie Porter says:

What a great idea! You could win a contest with this idea. Keep it in mind next time there is a do it yourself contest. You would definitely win!

15. Dana Rodriguez says:

That is such a great idea!You could use this for plants also

16. Nice!! What about using a pallet instead of buying the wood?

• It’s doable – you’d have to disassemble the pallet (or cut it in half) – but the hubs thinks it would be more work. If you make one, I’d love to see it!

17. This is really cute. I can see my husband making this for me with pallets. :) Looks so awesome.

18. Becky VanGinkel says:

I love that you can lay it flat when your done!! That would be great for us so we wouldn’t have to be worrying about one of our kids smacking their head on it or something worse. I really like the action shots of your husband hard at work.. you guys seem like a great couple :)

babydjs_mom@yahoo.com

19. nicole dz says:

This is actually genius! We host a lot of parties in the summer in our back yard, and this table sure would come in handy, what a space saver also, love how it folds down.

20. Miss McGyver says:

I was thinking already about making something like this on the side of my small Barn shed
    But it was going to be bigger and used as a awning, then when not in use fold down like that
    I would have to put the 2×4′s along the side which would look like what is on your fence and
    Maybe bigger hinges lol

21. I absolutely love this idea!

22. Ohh fab….
    Hubby is making several of these (doesn’t know it yet tehe)
    Make great breakfast bar for summer (haha im in uk!!)
    Also thinking paint with blackboard paint so when down kids can use.

23. Looks like I could use that for a great potting bench.

24. Kathy McBride says:

I am so going to use this idea!

Trackbacks

1. […] A little more intensive than the birdhouse, this will require more sawing and drilling. Make it an opportunity to teach the older kids safety when using power tools and how to properly measure when making DIY projects. Have them do a lot of the work to prep them for bigger projects. sensiblysara.com […]