The new school year is quickly approaching. While the kids are busy packing their school supplies and picking out outfits, I’m keeping myself busy with the task of menu planning some easy weeknight meals for the busy nights ahead of us.
This past weekend I did a test run on a kid-friendly meal that takes about an hour to prep and cook. Not only is it super easy for mom (or dad) to prepare but it has the kind of “kid stopping power” that will make them drop their task at hand to enjoy a delicious family meal at the table.
Hunt’s Manwich sauce is never far from reach since we keep our pantry stocked with all three varieties including: Original, Bold and Thick & Chunky (my favorite). This meat-free versatile sauce isn’t just for Sloppy Joe sandwiches. We use it in a lot of different ways, from adding a tangy kick to our pasta sauce to spicing up a platter of beefy nachos. And in this meal, it takes an ordinary hot dog to an extraordinary sloppy dog.
This recipe starts with a foil lined baking pan filled with buns and jumbo beef hot dogs.
They’re topped with cooked ground beef in the Thick & Chunky Manwich sauce.
Then piled high with a handful of shredded cheddar cheese.
Cover with foil, pop the pan in the oven and you have a kid-friendly meal in 45 minutes.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can Manwhich Thick & Chunky sauce
- 6 hot dog buns
- 6 hot dogs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown ground beef in a skillet until no longer pink. Strain excess grease off and return to the skillet. Add Manwich sauce and stir until bubbling. Remove from heat.
- Place the hot dog buns with the hot dogs inside a deep baking dish lined with non-stick foil.
- Top the hot dogs with ground beef mixture and cheese.
- Cover with non-stick foil and bake for 45 minutes.