**Full Disclosure: As part of the Windows Champions blogger program, I will be loaned two devices (with Windows 8.1) for the next year. I will also have the opportunity to learn more about Windows and Microsoft. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I ADORE my Microsoft Surface (more on that soon) but just carrying it in my bag was scratching up the backside so I wanted a case that was cute and functional. With my mom’s help, I made a DIY tablet case – envelope style – for the Surface! No more scratches on my tablet!
DIY Tablet Case – Envelope Style:
What You’ll Need:
- Sewing machine (and all the things that come with that – straight pins, thread, scissors, etc)
- Fabric – I used flannel – at least 1/2 yard
- Fusible batting – at least 1/2 yard
- 1 (one) button, optional.
- Measure out two pieces of fabric. (For the Surface, measurements are: 13″ wide and 22″ tall and batting – 12 1/2″ wide and 21 1/2″ tall.)
- Iron your batting to the wrong side of one piece of fabric.
- Put your two pieces of fabric right sides together. Pin them in place.
- Leaving a 4-inch opening at on the bottom, sew the two pieces of fabric together.
- Remove the pins and turn your case inside out.
- Fold the seams of the opening in and pin.
- Iron the whole thing flat.
- Top stitch the bottom edge (where the 4″ opening is) and the flap at 1/4″.
- Fold the bottom up toward the point (1/2″ from the start of the taper). (For the Surface, you’ll need the fold to be 8″ tall.)
- Pin the two edges together and top stitch down the sides at 3/8″.
- Add a button, if you wish.
The fabric will start out looking like a really tall house. Once you fold and sew, it’ll look more envelope-ish.
**You could also make your tablet case reversible by using two different pieces of fabric rather than just one.
Having a case made to fit my personality is so much fun! This purple one was the trial-run and it’s a little tight (the Surface with touch cover doesn’t fit!). I also made a reversible case that is a little big, but I like it so much better!
Would you make your own tablet case?!